Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Art Gallery Exhibit Shows the Heart of an Artist at the Edge Center Gallery


The August exhibit in the Edge Center Gallery is David Richter:  The Heart of an Artist. Judging from some of this artist’s work you might suspect a witty, humorous, sensitive, and thoughtful person. For instance, compare Dr. Pepper which combines a can of Dr. Pepper and an array of hot peppers with an earlier piece depicting apples and deer antlers.  Then there are the images of faces showing yet another contrasting style. They all provide a wonderful range of color, subjects and feelings you can enjoy.  Come and see the differences from this talented artist at the Edge Center Gallery, next to the Bigfork School, from August 4 until September 3. The Opening Reception is Friday, August 5 from 5-7 pm with refreshments to enjoy while looking at the art.  Normal Gallery hours are from 10:00-4:00 on Thursday, Fridays, and Saturdays.    


David Richter has loved art for as long as he can remember.  He says, ”I still have memories of spending the entire day lost in my colored pencils and crayons. Not much has changed; I still spend entire days alone with my colored pencils. The only thing that changed is the freedom I had as a child, not a care in the world. Just me and my art.” 



Richter works principally in colored pencil. This is not the colored pencil of most children.  He explains, “I love the translucent look I can achieve with colored pencil. I can build up layer after layer to achieve my final look I am after.”  Although colored pencil work is usually called “drawing”, Richter prefers to call them paintings for two reasons.  His color is intense and it is hard to tell it from a work using paint.  Also, in his experimenting, he often uses mineral spirits along with colored pencils.  When added correctly with a brush or q-tip, it turns colored pencil beautifully fluid, making his work look more painterly. 






Bigfork resident, David Richter, finished art school recently.  His introduction to Renaissance artists Holbein, Durer and Titian has influenced his own realistic style. He is grateful that art school “did not dull my love for the process.” 



The exhibit, David Richter: The Heart of an Artist is in the Edge Center Gallery, next to the Bigfork School, from August 4 until September 3.   The Opening Reception is Friday, August 5 from 5-7 pm with refreshments to enjoy while looking at the art.   The Gallery hours are from 10:00-4:00 on Thursday, Fridays, and Saturdays.



No comments:

Post a Comment